What do I do for a broken toe?

I hit my toe super hard on the radiator in my apartment. My roommate says they can?t do anything for a broken toe, you just have to wait for it to heal. Is this true?
It sounds like you really hit that toe hard. Broken toes can be very painful and should at least be evaluated by a doctor. There are a few reasons for this. First, it would be nice to know if it is broken or not. If it is broken, then there will be some treatment offered. The treatment that is necessary will depend on what type of fracture it is. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. He or she will examine your toe closely to look for any deformities. From there, the doctor will most likely order an x-ray of your toe. The x-ray will be able to show if it is fractured or not. If it is fractured, then the question will be whether the fracture involves the joint or just the bone. If it involves the joint, then the surgeon will have to decide whether or not it needs surgery. Most toe fractures do not need any operation and can be treated just with taping the broken toe to the toe next to it. In some cases, a special shoe can be worn so that the broken toe does not have any pressure placed on it.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Alan Newman
    Dr. Alan Newman MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    200 NE Mother Joseph Place
    Vancouver, WA 98664
  • Dr. Gregory Caronis
    Dr. Gregory Caronis MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    105 N. Greenleaf Street
    Gurnee, IL 60031
  • Dr. Pierre Girard
    Dr. Pierre Girard MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    4700 N. Congress Ave.
    West Palm Beach, FL 33407