How much vicodin should I take?

I had surgery on my chest to remove a Medi-Port. Now the incision hurts, causing me steady pain. I took one vicodin but it didn?t seem to help. Is it okay to take more? Should I increase the dosage without talking to my doctor?
The quick answer to your question is no, you should never change the dosage of your pain medication without talking to your doctor first. The reason for this is that the dose of pain medication is written for you is considered safe and higher doses are not considered safe until verified by your doctor. Vicodin is no exception. One reason for this is that Vicodin contains two drugs: hydrocodone and acetaminophen. Hydrocodone is a narcotic pain medicine. Taken at higher doses you may get better pain relief, but you will also get more of the side effects of sedation, drowsiness, and constipation. In severe overdoses, you can lose your drive to breathe which is obviously dangerous. Acetaminophen is a safe pain killer, but can be very dangerous to your liver if taken in high enough doses. You would probably have to take more than a few Vicodin to reach this toxic dose but your doctor should make the call as to how much is safe for you. I suggest that you give your doctor a call. If you can't reach the physician that removed the mediport, then call your primary care physician. Your PCP can take a look at your current pain medicine prescription and determine how much of this drug is safe to take so that you can get better pain relief without complications.