Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can something be done about the constant cramping in my foot?"

ZocdocAnswersCan something be done about the constant cramping in my foot?


Not exactly constant, but I get cramping on the inside of my right foot a lot. What is the muscle causing this? Should I take a muscle relaxer?


I think you should go to see your doctor about this. It sounds like it has been going on for quite a while, and you should have your doctor look at your foot to help you figure out what is going on. Most likely, it is not a serious medical problem, but it should be diagnosed. One possibility is that you have flat arches. When the arches of the feet are flat, there is little support especially when standing for long periods of time. This can lead to fatigue and cramping pain, but, fortunately, this can usually be fixed simply by wearing the right pair of shoes. Another possibility would be plantar fasciitis. This is an inflammation / over use injury of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot in front of the heel bone. Usually there is pain when pressing right over this area. Plantar fasciitis often responds to proper footwear. There are also a number of stretching and strengthening exercises which your doctor can give to you which will help. In the mean time, while you are waiting for your appointment with your primary care doctor, stick to comfortable shoes with good support (like athletic shoes) to minimize your discomfort.

Need more info?

See a podiatrist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.