Can something be done about the constant cramping in my foot?

Not exactly constant, but I get cramping on the inside of my right foot a lot. What is the muscle causing this? Should I take a muscle relaxer?
I think you should go to see your doctor about this. It sounds like it has been going on for quite a while, and you should have your doctor look at your foot to help you figure out what is going on. Most likely, it is not a serious medical problem, but it should be diagnosed. One possibility is that you have flat arches. When the arches of the feet are flat, there is little support especially when standing for long periods of time. This can lead to fatigue and cramping pain, but, fortunately, this can usually be fixed simply by wearing the right pair of shoes. Another possibility would be plantar fasciitis. This is an inflammation / over use injury of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot in front of the heel bone. Usually there is pain when pressing right over this area. Plantar fasciitis often responds to proper footwear. There are also a number of stretching and strengthening exercises which your doctor can give to you which will help. In the mean time, while you are waiting for your appointment with your primary care doctor, stick to comfortable shoes with good support (like athletic shoes) to minimize your discomfort.

Other Podiatrists

• Dr. S. Don Kim
    Dr. S. Don Kim DPM
    Podiatrist
    701 E 28th St
    Long Beach, CA 90806
  • Dr. Brett Sachs
    Dr. Brett Sachs DPM
    Podiatrist
    7615 W 38th Ave
    Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
  • Dr. Ryan Shock
    Dr. Ryan Shock DPM
    Podiatrist
    6611 River Place Blvd
    Austin, TX 78730