ZocdocAnswersHow can I speed up the healing process for a pulled groin?

Question

How can I speed up the healing process for a pulled groin?

Pulled my groin playing soccer a few months ago, it still hurts. How can I make it heal fast? I need to start exercising again but the pain is preventing me.

Answer

Do you notice anything that helps the pain or worsens it? Certain radiating pain syndromes may be related to other problems, such as degenerative spine disease, and may seem similar to a pulled groin muscle. Do you routinely stretch before performing strenuous exercise? This decreases the likelihood of pulling a muscle. Have you ever had anything like this before? These are important questions to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor who will be able to take this information along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate work up and possible treatment options. In general, muscle sprains and sprains require time, relaxation, massage or ice therapy, or anti-inflammatory medications such as NSAIDS to help with the eventual recovery process. Often this can take a few weeks to get back to normal. Stretching before strenuous exercise can often avoid injuries related to muscle strains and sprains and is also good for you. Of course, it is important that you are evaluated by a medical professional as this may be something more concerning.