ZocdocAnswersHow can I prevent swimmer?s ear?

Question

How can I prevent swimmer?s ear?

I?ve had it twice in both ears this summer, from swimming everyday. I used the drops my doc gave me the first time I had it, but they?re gone now. I wear ear plugs. What else should I do?

Answer

Have you had problems with this in the past? Are you prone to developing ear or sinus infections in the past? There are certain immunologic problems that can lead to having problems developing swimmer's ear. These are important questions to consider and discuss with your primary care doctor. He or she will be able to take this information, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam and decide upon the appropriate work up and treatment options available for this. In general, swimming daily definitely puts you at a higher risk of developing swimmer's ear than the average individual. Wearing ear plugs and ensuring that your ears are dry after you swim. There are a variety of ear drops with antibiotics as well as oral medications that can treat swimmer's ear, but it is best if you discuss what options are available to prophylactically prevent swimmer's ears from developing. This is best done in discussion with your primary care doctor as he or she knows your medical history best. Please speak with your doctor soon.