ZocdocAnswersAre there ways to prevent frequent colds?

Question

Are there ways to prevent frequent colds?

Every cold season, I get 2 or 3 colds. Coughing and sneezing and stuffy nose. Do things like Vitamin C or Airborne prevent colds? Are there any ways to make my immune system better?

Answer

As you know, the common cold is caused by a virus that is spread when you come in contact with the respiratory secretions of someone who is infected with the virus. Therefore the best ways to prevent getting a cold include trying to avoid these infected secretions. You can do this by avoiding really crowded spaces during the cold season. As well frequent hand washing, and covering your mouth or nose when coughing and sneezing are all important measure to reduce virus transmission. It does sound to me pretty normal to have 2 or 3 colds in a year. I don't think you need to worry that your immune system is faulty, as most healthy people probably have at least this number of colds every year. Multiple nutritional and vitamin supplements like vitamin C and Airborne are marketed as helping to prevent colds. These products may have a small role in helping to prevent colds, but it is probably fairly minimal. In other words, taking these products will not guarantee that you don't get a cold. However, they are harmless, so feel free to try them if you wish. For more information about staying healthy, please talk to your primary care doctor!