Why am I dizzy a lot all of the sudden?

I get dizzy a few times a day, especially when I?m getting up from sitting or laying down. What gives?
vertigo-468">Dizziness is a very common symptom. Unfortunately, there are both very serious causes of dizziness as well as relatively minor. Fortunately however, many of the causes are treatable. I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. He or she can help rule out the dangerous causes as well as treat whatever the cause may be. There are many causes of dizziness -- but the two biggest ones are the most common. The first can be dangerous -- this is dizziness which is caused by not enough blood getting to the brain. Known as presyncope -- this often causes symptoms of lightheadedness and a sensation of you being about to faint. This is a concerning symptoms as it can be caused by the heart not pumping blood correctly. This is dangerous and should be evaluated. The other major cause that is actually more common is not a dangerous cause. Known as benign positional paroxysmal vertigo -- or BPPV -- this is a non dangerous cause of short spurts of dizziness that occur when you change position. This is caused by small stones in the inner ear that get dislodged and roll around causing this sensation of dizziness. There are treatments to return these stones to their proper spot. Again, please talk to your doctor.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

• Dr. Ed Shin
    Dr. Ed Shin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    310 East 14th Street
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Navin Mehta
    Dr. Navin Mehta MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    303 Second Ave
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Daniel Jethanamest
    Dr. Daniel Jethanamest MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    550 First Avenue
    New York, NY 10016