ZocdocAnswersIs my period causing my hiccups?

Question

Is my period causing my hiccups?

I?m about to start my time of the month and have been cramping and stuff as usual. Now I?ve been hiccupping for almost two days straight. It only goes away for like a half hour at a time. I?m 19.

Answer

Have you or anyone in your family ever had this problem before? Sometimes this can be related to a familial disorder, and should be evaluated by a primary care doctor. Does anything make it better or worse? Does the hiccuping always occur around your period or was it just that one time? IT may be that you just noticed it once and that was the only time it even occurred. Do you feel that you are having any other associated complaints along with the hiccups that may be new? These are important questions to consider and the answers to these questions, along with your medical history, presenting symptoms and clinical exam will help your primary care doctor decide upon the appropriate work up and potential treatment options for you. This may include lab tests, or imaging studies and perhaps even a referral to a specialist depending on what is found. In general, this could be a normal finding that may be unrelated to your period, although there are potentially more serious possibilities that should be evaluated. Please see a medical professional as soon as possible.