Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"The inside of my eyelid is peeling - why?"

ZocdocAnswersThe inside of my eyelid is peeling - why?


The skin inside my eyelid is literally peeling off, At first I thought it might be pink eye because my eye was super itchy and irritated but when I looked inside my eyelid I could see loose skin and I was able to peel a layer completely off of the inside of my eyelid. Right after i peel it off it's less irritated because there isn't loose skin rubbing against my eyeball. It keeps happening though. I've tried everything I know. Cold compress, regular eye drops, antibiotic drops etc but it keeps happening and I don't know what's going on. It's freaking me out and making me completely miserable. I called my doctor and they tried to tell me it was pink eye. It is definitely not pink eye because i had that a couple times (I work with kids so it goes around a lot) and it's not like that at all. I don;t have any mucus discharge, only watery discharge because my eye is so irritated.


Though it is impossible to tell what you have without examining your eye, it seems most likely that you are suffering from some irritation of your conjunctiva. The conjunctiva is the outer lining of the eye ball which also is continuous with the inside of the eye lid. When the conjunctiva becomes inflamed, we call it conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is caused by an infection of the conjunctiva with either a virus, a bacteria, or irritation by an allergic reaction. The vast majority of cases are caused by a virus. A viral conjunctivitis can be extremely painful and can cause the eye to be red, irritated, and release a watery discharge. Antibiotic eye drops will not help this other than helping to lubricate the eye which can be soothing but will not lessen the time of the infection. The pealing of the skin under your eyelid is probably the conjunctiva itself which is pealing away from the infection. The best way for you to get diagnosed with the correct condition is for you to be seen by your doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. After an thorough eye exam, you will know how long it will take for this problem to heal. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.