What are the symptoms of appendicitis?

Do I need my appendix out?? I have sharp pains in my stomach for two days strait. I feel nauseous and I?m going to the bathroom a lot too. Is this appendicitis?
I am very sorry that you have been feeling so bad for the past couple of days with stomach pains, nausea, and frequently needing to use the bathroom. The appendix is a vestigial (meaning that there is no known function of the structure) structure at the junction of the small and large intestine. It is located in the lower right quadrant of the abdomen. Appendicitis just means that the appendix has become inflamed for some reason. In this case it usually implies infection. Appendicitis can be a medical emergency because if the inflamed/infected appendix ruptures, it will spill the infected bowel contents into the peritoneal cavity (that holds all of the abdominal organs) and cause a life threatening infection called peritonitis. For this reason, the inflamed appendix is usually removed surgically. Appendicitis usually starts out as abdominal pain (usually peri-umbilical) which progresses to nausea and vomiting, and ultimately progresses to right lower quadrant pain. The inflammation can be bad enough so that there is significant tenderness with palpation of the abdominal wall, and in males there can be ipsilateral (same side) testicle pain. Some of the earlier symptoms are non-specific to appendicitis (generalized abdominal pain, nausea, etc) and can be seen in other ailments such as gastroenteritis. However if you do feel that you are getting focal right lower quadrant pain and are getting fevers/chills, then I would definitely recommend going to the nearest emergency department to get checked out. If your problem is not that acute, but is persisting, you should make an appointment with your primary care physician to get evaluated. I hope that this information is helpful, and I hope you feel better.

• Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723