ZocdocAnswersIs Celebrex an effective treatment for arthritis?

Question

Is Celebrex an effective treatment for arthritis?

I have soreness in my hands and wrists, which has gotten worse as I have gotten older. I used to just take ibuprofen everyday, but I heard about Celebrex from a friend. Is this a good medincine for me?

Answer

Celebrex is a new medication that is commonly prescribed for the inflammation and pain. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) that is often used for the treatment of arthritis. However, it is difficult to assess whether or not Celebrex is a good medicine for you. Each person responds to the effect of the medication differently. For example, some 10%-50% of patients are unable to tolerate the side effects of NSAIDs, including abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, heartburn, and upset stomach. Patients taking aspirin and the elderly are at great risk for developing stomach bleeding and ulcers. Like all prescription NSAIDs, Celebrex may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke that can lead to death. Therefore, an effective treatment for your arthritis with Celebrex will depend on your particular symptoms and any other medical conditions you may have. It is important to let your doctor know if you have a history of ulcers or bleeding in the stomach or intestines, high blood pressure or heart failure, kidney or liver problems. Life threatening allergic reactions can occur with Celebrex. If you've had an asthma attack, hives or other allergic reactions to any other NSAID medicine or sulfonamides, do not take Celebrex. I strongly advise you to consult with a primary care doctor who may give you a referral to a rheumatologist to find the right treatment or combination of treatments for your arthritis.