How long does a muscle strain take to heal?

I think I strained a muscle playing basketball with my friends. My calf hurt for a few days, being sore. Now, if I try to run or anything, I get pain in the calf, even though I?m not sore anymore. How long will my calf be like this?
Sports injuries can be very frustrating since they can sometimes keep you from doing the activities that you enjoy. If you are still having pain with activity several days after an injury, it is a good idea to see your primary care physician. He or she can examine your leg and find out more about the initial injury in order to determine whether any further treatment is needed. With some muscle strain or sprain injuries, physical therapy can sometimes help with the healing process and prevent future injury. Your primary care physician can let you know if this might be helpful. Overall, muscle sprains can take time to heal, sometimes as long as days to weeks depending upon the initial injury. Stretching before and after activity can help the healing process and prevent future injuries. Heat or ice applied before or after activity can also be helpful, as can mild anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen to help with pain and discomfort. However, if you have an injury that is bothering you enough to consider even mild over-the-counter medications, it is generally a good idea to make an appointment with your physician for a more thorough history and exam.

Nearby Physical Therapists

Other Physical Therapists

• Shmuel Tatz
    Shmuel Tatz PT
    Physical Therapist
    30 West 60th Street
    New York, NY 10023
  • Preetha Nair
    Preetha Nair PT
    Physical Therapist
    2805 Whipple Rd
    Union City, CA 94587
  • Dr. Keiko Yanai
    Dr. Keiko Yanai DPT
    Physical Therapist
    57 West 57th St
    New York, NY 10019