ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to go on a liquid diet for two days?

Question

Is it safe to go on a liquid diet for two days?

I?m in my early thirties, male. I?ve been smoking for about ten years and smoke about a pack a day. I want to clean my body out, so I?m going to just have liquids for a couple of days. Is this safe?

Answer

To answer your question: yes. It is likely safe for you to be on a liquid diet. However, the other question that one must answer is: Is it worthwhile to go on a liquid diet for a couple days? The answer to this is probably no. This may not be bad for your health, but I would question if this will truly help your overall health. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care physician. This, plus other health concerns, should be addressed. First off, it must be said that the biggest toxin in your body that must be eliminated is the collection of toxins that are contained in smoking cigarettes. These are by far and way the most dangerous to your health and limiting/eliminating them is the most important thing you can do for your health. I would recommend discussing this with your primary care doctor. He or she can help with many methods and medicines to eliminate smoking from your life. Going on a liquid diet (ensuring a reasonable amount of fluid to ensure adequate hydration) is safe in the short term (24-72 hours). Our bodies store significant amounts of energy (in fat, muscle etc) that will be broken down to sustain you. Regardless, talk to your doctor first.