Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What does it mean if I have chronic epididymitis? "

ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if I have chronic epididymitis?


I have like constant pain in my left testicle. My doctor says my epididymis is swollen and i might have chronic epididymitis. Does this go away? What should I do other than surgery? I?m in my mid-twenties and don?t want this for the rest of my life.


Epididymitis, as you may have learned by now, is an inflammation of epididymis, the tightly coiled segment at the back of the testicle that stores and carries sperm. It is often caused by a bacterial infection or by a sexually transmitted disease, such as gonorrhea or chlamydia trachomatis as well as E. coli commonly associated with urinary tract infection or a virus. Pain and swelling are associated with epididymitis. Signs and symptoms of epididymitis usually develop over a day or two and get better with treatment. When epididymitis may not clear up completely, or may recur, it becomes chronic epididymitis. Unlike acute epididymitis, chronic epididymitis may be caused by overly sensitive nerves or muscles rather by infection, although exact cause is unclear. Chronic epididymitis may cause chronic pain but has no other serious long-term effects. Treatment usually involves the injections of steroids or anesthetics along a nerve to reduce muscle tension in the area between the scrotum and anus. Neuromodulating agents can be used to fix faulty nerve function in the groin area. The condition can also be treated with a high dose of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Taking warm baths once or twice a day is often recommended. Surgery is a last resort. I would recommend a visit with a primary care doctor or urologist to be evaluated and rule out other conditions such as testicular torsion and testicular cancer. Chronic epididymitis and prostatitis almost always affect men in pairs so it is good idea to look into a possibility of your developing prostatitis as well and discuss available treatments. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.