Does wearing a hat cause hair loss?

My hair looks like its getting thin at the back, where it grows. I wear a baseball cap everyday. I?m in my early twenties and nobody in my family has hair loss. Is wearing a hat doing this?
There is no evidence to suggest that wearing a hat can cause hair loss, though many people share your concern. Most of us shed 50 to 100 hairs every day, without even noticing. People who wear a hat or a baseball cap on a regular basis will probably notice the hair that has accumulated, giving the illusion of hair loss. While wearing a hat may have nothing to do with your hair loss of the permanent kind, it can prevent proper amount of air circulation to your scalp, and cause sweat clogging up pores (which potentially leads to slower hair growth). That said, it is good idea to see a doctor about this. In addition to heredity, poor nutrition, and the effect of some medications, there are several causes of hair loss that relate to some medical conditions, such as an autoimmune disease (diabetes or lupus), certain infections, and hormonal problems (hyper or hypothyroidism, or over production of testosterone). Since hair loss may be an early sign of a disease, it is important to see a primary care doctor to find the cause so that it can be treated.

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Pamela Amador
    Dr. Pamela Amador MD
    85 Grand Canal Dr
    Miami, FL 33144
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461