Click to book now:

Can you get carpal tunnel syndrome from playing an instrument?

Don?t really use the computer much, just e-mail and stuff. I play trumpet in a jazz band with some friends and practice everyday. Could I end up getting carpal tunnel syndrome from bending my wrist and fingers all the time? They?ve never really hurt before, but I?m worried about practicing too much.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a type of repetitive stress injury or RSI. This means that any repetitive motion that you do over and over again can cause strain on the area of the body. Therefore, to answer your question, YES -- it is very possible to get carpal tunnel syndrome from playing an instrument. I would recommend that you discuss this pain with your doctor. He or she can help diagnose the problem and ultimately treat it. Any repetitive motion can cause stress on that part of the body. The carpal tunnel is one area that is very susceptible to this problem. Located in the end of the wrist (Really underneath the hand), the carpal tunnel is a space in which tendons that control the hand run. The tunnel is made of bones and a fibrous ligament. With repetitive motion of the hand, the tendons rub against each other and become inflamed. Because the tunnel keeps all the tendons together, there is no room for the tendons to swell and therefore it results in pain. If left untreated, the swelling tendons can pinch the nerves that also run through the tunnel and cause permanent damage. Luckily, there is treatment that readily fixes this problem. Talk to your doctor for more information.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!