ZocdocAnswersIs a blood clot causing the numbness in my arm?

Question

Is a blood clot causing the numbness in my arm?

Started having numbness in my right arm last week. Comes and goes. Is it a blood clot?

Answer

This is very unlikely to be a blood clot. Of course if you have a history of blood clots or of a clotting problem, then the symptoms might be compatible with this and you should get it checked out. If not, however, then you shouldn't worry about it being a clot. Clots are much more common in the legs, unless there is a predisposition. On the other hand, there are several things that this could be. For example, various nerve injuries are common. For example the carpal tunnel nerve, which runs down the inside of the wrist is often pinched or stretched which can lead to numbness and tingling on the palm side of the hand. Similarly, compressing the ulnar nerve can lead to tingling or numbness on the pinky side of the arm. The most common time the ulnar nerve is compressed is when you "hit your funny bone" but more chronic compression can also occur. If the numbness symptoms persist or if they worsen, you should see your primary care doctor to figure out what is going on.