Is osgood schlatter going to cause me permanent problems?

I have this bump on my knee that my dad says is osgood schlatter. He has it too. It won?t go away. Is this okay? Do I have to do something about it? I?m 18 and male.
It is possible that you could have Osgood Schlatter disease, but there are other pathologies on the differential that should be considered, so you should discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician to ensure there is no significant damage or disease. Osgood Schlatter is the inflammation of the top of your lower leg bone where the patellar tendon inserts. It is an overuse injury due to recurrent strain on the knee. The main symptoms are pain and swelling of the top of the leg bone just inferior to the knee. The pain is usually exacerbated by trauma, running, and jumping and is improved with rest. The usual affected age group is 9-14 year olds just finishing their growth spurt and more so in inactive children. While your doctor may find prominence of the bone under your knee on exam, a visible bump to you may likely be from another cause. Osgood-Schlatter is usually a self-limited disease that improves when kids have reached their adult height and usually does not have long lasting effects. However, sequelae have been reported and include persistent pain and prominence and hyperextension of the knee. The main therapies are pain control and rest. The differential for knee pain and a knee "bump" can be large, so you should follow up with your primary care physician to discuss your symptoms, history and required workup.