ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to have your period for nine days?

Question

Is it safe to have your period for nine days?

I HAVE BEEN ON FOR 9DAYS OF HEAVY BLEEDING AND I WANT TO KNOW IF THIER IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH ME

Answer

Having a period lasting more than 7 days is not considered to be normal. The typical length for menstruation is 3-5 days of the 28-day menstrual cycle. Your excessive menstrual bleeding is generally not good for the health. You have a condition called menorrhagia. If you are a young woman or a women in her late 40's approaching menopause, such heavy bleeding is most often due to a temporary hormone imbalance, which eventually corrects itself. There are numerous causes of menorrhagia. Without the ability to examine you and ask you more in details about the condition, it is not possible to pinpoint a specific cause of your menorrhagia. Therefore, I will propose several common sources of a heavy bleeding. An early pregnancy loss can be one possibility. Another possibility is the intake of certain drugs such as steroids and blood thinners (i.e, aspirin) during period. If your menorrhagia is recurrent, it can be a serious medical condition. To name several common causes, a blood clotting disorder, endometriosis, uterine fibroids or polyps, pelvic inflammatory disease, polycystic ovary syndrome, thyroid and pituitary disorders, and dysfunctional uterine bleeding, which is a heavy bleeding with unknown reason, may contribute to your condition. I suggest that you see a primary care doctor or gynocologist to get your heavy bleeding under control as well as to determine the underlying cause of your menorrhagia that may or may not indicate a serious medical condition.