ZocdocAnswersIs my white cell count too low?

Question

Is my white cell count too low?

va said would not infuse more platelets unless bleeding occured? my dental needs to be done. I'm I at risk With a 20,000 count?

Answer

It sounds like you may have a problem with low white blood counts (WBC) as well as low platelets. White blood cells are your immune cells which are responsible for defending your body from microbes, allergens, cancers, and defective body cells. On the other hand, platelets are responsible for initiating blood clots and forming a "seal" when the skin/blood vessels have been injured. A person can have conditions affecting one or both of these players. For example, people who are on immune suppressive medications like chemotherapy may have very suppressed levels of WBC. Patients with certain immune system disorders can have very low platelets to the point of being at risk for bleeding. Platelet counts are normally above 150,000. However, patients usually don't see problems with hemostasis until this level drops down to the low 10-20,000. Those with this low levels of platelets will often be given platelet transfer. If this is so, you are certainly at risk with this low count. A low white blood cell count is typically considered to be in the range lower than 3,500 white blood cells per microliter of blood and it makes you vulnerable to other diseases. The normal range for white blood cell count is 4500 to 10,000 cells per microliter of blood. Although not always, it can sometimes be a sign of an underlying medical problem. Some of diseases associated with a low white blood cell count are viruses infecting bone marrow, cancers of the bone marrow, allergies, drugs, and autoimmune diseases that attack white blood cells or bone marrow. Since white blood cells are your body's natural weapons to fight off infections and diseases, I suggest that you see a primary care doctor for a referral to a hematologist to be evaluated and have your condition treated. The doctor may treat you with medications to boost your count so that you will feel more energy and your immune system will be stronger.