ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to get pregnant if you have PCOS?

Question

Is it safe to get pregnant if you have PCOS?

I have a 12 yrs old son and i found out in march that i have pcos can i ever get pregnant again?

Answer

PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is a syndrome that involves improper release of certain hormones in the body. Some women have trouble with weight and may also develop diabetes. Another symptom that is common is irregular periods. The irregular periods occur because PCOS patients sometimes do not ovulate during their cycles. When this happens, the periods don't know when to end and their durations can be erratic. Women that have this type of cycle are less likely to get pregnant at any given time. However, this does not mean that pregnancy is impossible. Many women that carry the diagnosis of PCOS can still get pregnant. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure how much trouble (if any) you will have. The only way to tell is to try. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. This is the best type of doctor to discuss your diagnosis of PCOS in the context of any future pregnancies. Your doctor will likely want to do a thorough physical exam and may also want to draw some routine blood tests to look for levels of hormones in your blood. From there, you will be able to get the best advice on how to get pregnant in the future.