ZocdocAnswersShould I pop my pimples or let them heal on their own?

Question

Should I pop my pimples or let them heal on their own?

I'm in my early twenties, male. I still get pimples on the skin of my face and neck, but it's not acne or anything, just a few. I pop them, but my girlfriend says I shouldn't. Is it bad to do this? Why does it make any difference?

Answer

There is no doubt that it is difficult to resist the urge to pop your pimples because they go away so much faster than leaving them alone. However, it is best to treat pimples with medication and let them heal in their own time. Pimples can become infected easily. When you pop them they are open to infection. You may introduce bacteria and it might make your condition even worse. If your pimples are deep under your skin, popping them causes a break in the skin that may lead to scarring that takes a long time to fade. Without the ability to examine your skin condition, it is difficult to assess what kind of pimples you have. Are you pimples bumpy red, pus-filled lumps around a hair follicle that are tender and very painful? If this is so, your pimples are actually boils. A boil is almost always caused by bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. The most common complications of boils are scarring and infection, and popping them can cause further infections. Antibiotics are recommended for treatment. Of course, if your skin condition becomes worse, it is best to see a dermatologist where you will be treated properly. I hope you find the information helpful. Good luck.