ZocdocAnswersShould I have to use lip balm all year round?

Question

Should I have to use lip balm all year round?

I usually use chap stick in the winter, but now my lips are even dry in the summer. I'm 21 year old woman. Never had this problem before. Is it normal? Is something wrong with my lips?

Answer

In general, many people will feel more comfortable using lip balm or chapstick at some point during the year. You are correct to point out that in many parts of the world, the cold temperatures and dry air that come with winter weather often make the sensation of dry lips worse. However, it is not unusual to use a chapstick or lip balm regularly during summer months. Sun or wind exposure with outdoor activities can cause drying of the lips, and changes in your living or working environments may also affect your skin. There are several medical conditions that can affect the production of saliva from the salivary glands and result in a noticeably dry mouth, but it does not sound as if this is a symptom that is bothering you. Overall, if you are concerned about a change in your health, scheduling an appointment with your physician is the best way to evaluate the issue and put your mind at ease. In the meantime, there is no harm whatsoever to continuing to use your chapstick!