Why is the skin on my chest so sensitive all the sudden?

26 year old female, my chest is very sensitive to the touch all of the sudden. Not sore or anything, but the skin on my breasts and around them feels irritated, almost like a burn after it heals. What would be causing this? It kind of tingles too.
There are several potential causes here. One would be poorly fitting undergarments. For example, if your bra is too tight it could compress small nerves in the breasts leading to a sensation of discomfort or tingling. Another possibility would be irritation of the skin on the breasts from excessive sweating. This is a pretty common problem in the hot summer months. Usually the skin has a reddened or chafed look to it. This can be prevented by wearing light wicking clothing and by keeping the skin dry and by using a good skin moisturizer. Another problem that is common in hot and humid weather is a fungal infection of the skin. This usually occurs under the breasts, where the skin may be reddened. This can be treated with good skin hygiene and a topical over the counter anti fungal cream. Another possibility that I can think of is shingles, although this would be unusual in an otherwise healthy person your age. Shingles is basically a reactivation of the chicken pox virus (so you would have had to have had that at some point) and in the early stages of reactivation it produces a painful or tingly sensation in the skin, although usually just on one side of the body. Talk to your primary care doctor if the symptoms continue and he or she will help you figure out what is going on.

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217