ZocdocAnswersWhy is my testicle sore all the time?

Question

Why is my testicle sore all the time?

My right testicle is sore all the time for the last couple of months, and the pain radiates out into my groin and buttocks. I'm early thirties, male. What could be causing this?

Answer

This is the type of problem that you should have checked out right away. A constant pain in a testicle is never normal and in some cases can be due to problems that are both dangerous to your reproductive and overall health. A sore testicle can be caused by an infection. One of the most notorious infections that can cause this pain is mumps. If you were not vaccinated for mumps as a child, then this is a very real possibility. This is especially true if you also have a sore cheek and a fever. Another possibility is that you have a hernia in the area. A hernia occurs when there is a small portion of bowel that protrudes down into the scrotum and can make that area sore. Finally, your doctor will want to consider the possibility that this is a testicular tumor. Testicular tumors can occur in men in their thirties and should be ruled out as a possibility. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she examine your testicles and possibly determine what the problem is. This evaluation may include getting an ultrasound of this area. If something is found on the ultrasound, then you may need referral to a specialist.