Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why do I feel like I have to pee when I don't have to actually go?

The last month or so, I'll feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but then barely anything comes out. I feel the ?i have to go? kind of pressure on my bladder, but nothing happens. What is causing this?
There are a few different causes of the problem of urinary urgency, which is what you seem to have. The different causes are more or less common depending on whether you are male or female, young or older. For example, in older men, the problem of urinary urgency is often due to an enlarged prostate. The prostate blocks the outflow of urine, which in turn makes the bladder fill up more than it is supposed to. Middle aged to older women can also develop this problem for unclear reasons. In these cases, there are medications that can be used to prevent the symptoms. In younger women, a condition called interstitial cystitis can cause urinary urgency, but often bladder pain is the dominant symptom. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will listen to your symptoms and put them into the context you age, sex, and other past medical history. Your doctor will also want to take a urine sample to test it for infection and other abnormalities. Finally, you may get placed on a bladder calming medication to see if your symptoms go away. If you situation seems more complex, then you may warrant referral to a urologist.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N