ZocdocAnswersAnything I can do about the black bags under my eyes?

Question

Anything I can do about the black bags under my eyes?

I'm 28 and female and have really bad black bags/circles under my eyes. I've tried skin cream and I know I get enough sleep, so what's going on? Any way to make the blackness go away?

Answer

Dark circles under the eyes can be frustrating as they tend to age us more effectively than wrinkles. It is not unusual that you get plenty of sleep and still have dark circles under your eyes. Sleep deprivation is not the only cause of under-eye black circles or bags. The area of skin is much thinner around the eyes than on other parts of the body. When the skin thins out even more due to sun damage or aging, the reddish-blue blood vessels under your eyes become more obvious. These are some of common causes of under-eye bag and black circles. Dark under-eye circles aren't usually a medical problem. However, for some people there can be a medical problem causing swelling and puffiness of the skin under the eyes and making the circles worse. For example, eye or nasal allergies (i.e., itchy eyes, nasal congestion, and sinus stuffiness) can dilate and darken the veins that drain from your eyes to your nose. There is no easy quick treatment for it. Skin toning creams may have at least a minimal benefit. I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor to get evaluated and a referral to a dermatologist if warranted. The dermatologist may offer you specialized treatments to give a more lasting solution than over-the-counter creams can provide, such as prescription creams, laser resurfacing or dermal abrasions.