Why am I thirsty all the time?

I feel thirsty all the time, even though I drink water pretty much all day long. My mouth is dry and so is my throat. Could this be related to my diet or is it something serious I should talk to a doctor about? 30 year old male.
Dry mouth and thirstiness are conditions that arise from a deficiency of saliva in the mouth. Drinking a lot of water is usually healthy. However, the urge to drink too much may be a symptom of a serious medical condition. The first thing that comes to mind for the reason of your being thirsty all the time is diabetes. You should have it checked out. A simple glucose tolerance test can tell you if it is diabetes. Of course, excessive thirst has other causes. Having too much spice or sodium (salt) in your diet obviously makes you thirstier than normal. It can be dehydration, which is unlikely in your case. Another cause may be Sjogren's Syndrome, a chronic autoimmune disease in which immune cells attack and destroy the exocrine glands that produce tears and saliva. One of its symptoms is typically dry mouth that makes you feel thirsty all the time. A list of other common diseases that have the same symptom includes hyperthyroidism, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's disease, kidney or liver failure, anemia, Alzheimer's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, hyperadrenalism and hypernatremia. Certain medications including the over-the-counter drugs can sometimes cause dry mouth and thirstiness. It is not possible to establish your diagnosis online. I would recommend that you see a primary care doctor to get diagnostic tests to find out what is causing your excessive thirst, whether or not it is simply from diet or a cause of a serious condition.

• Dr. Mahyar Eidgah
    Dr. Mahyar Eidgah MD
    310 East 14th St
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Sydney Mehl
    Dr. Sydney Mehl MD
    530 1st Avenue
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. John Adams
    Dr. John Adams MD
    119 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10003

• Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816
  • Dr. Michael Hamrock
    Dr. Michael Hamrock MD
    822 Boylston Street
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461