ZocdocAnswersCould stress be causing my exhaustion?

Question

Could stress be causing my exhaustion?

Feeling a lot of stress lately. Female in my late twenties going to school and working full time, with a kid. Lots of stress! Is this causing my exhaustion or am I just overworking myself? I feel like I get enough rest.

Answer

Absolutely! Stress could definitely be causing these symptoms that you are having. It sounds like you are very busy and not with enough time to yourself nor to get done the things you need to get done. Sometimes when one is very stressed out, even sufficient nightly sleep will not be enough to correct the problem. Of course, the best thing to do if it were possible would be to cut back on some things. If this is not possible, then at least you will want to make sure you are eating balanced nutritious meals regularly and getting regular exercise, as these two things can help cut down on stress and its adverse effects. Similarly you may want to try to regulate the amount of caffeine and alcohol you ingest, as these can have an adverse effect. Try going to bed at roughly the same time every night (without drinking coffee or alcohol before) and sleeping for 6-7 hours. You should also see your primary care doctor to make sure you do not have a medical problem (such as a problem with your thyroid gland). Good luck and take care of yourself!