ZocdocAnswersIs dying your hair bad for it?

Question

Is dying your hair bad for it?

I dye my hair a lot. Change the colors, sometimes bleach. Is this bad for my scalp? Will my hair fall out from this?

Answer

Questions or concerns about your hair health can always be addressed with your primary care physician. He or she can take a thorough history and perform a physical exam, if needed, to make sure that there are no changes in your health requiring further intervention. When it comes to the health of your hair, you are correct that repeated dyes and bleaching can be hard on it. The chemicals used to change colors, particularly going from a very light to a very dark shade (or back again), can be quite caustic. Bleach may give you the light color that you are looking for, but it is also worth remembering that as a chemical substance, bleach is very toxic. The way in which a person's hair holds up to repeated dyes and bleaching will be in part determined by the type of hair he or she had to start. However, over time, repeated chemical dyes can cause weakening of the hair fibers and loss of natural oils and texture, resulting in damaged or thinning hair. The choice of how to wear and style one's hair is a very personal one. However, it may be worth considering less frequent changes in color in order to prevent future problems with your hair. And again, please talk to your doctor for more specific information on keeping your hair healthy and strong.