Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

What does it mean an erection is painful?

My penis hurts when I have an erection. Sharp pains when it moves. Doesn't hurt otherwise. In my twenties. What's going on?
I would suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor about this. Pain with erection is not normal and it should be checked out. Causes of pain with erection include the following: 1. Trauma to the penis, such as might occur from too vigorous of sexual intercourse. This typically will get better with rest and recuperation. 2. Peyronie's disease. This condition occurs when a plaque of fibrous tissue forms on the shaft of the penis. This fibrous tissue causes traction on the shaft of the penis that can lead to pain with erection; it can also cause the penis to curve abnormally to one side. Peyronie's disease is treated with various medications, physical therapy and, in some cases, with surgery. 3. Priapism. This is a condition in which an individual suffers from a prolonged erection. Because the penis is distended with blood for a prolonged time, pain results. Priapism is most often associated with various other medical conditions, such as sickle cell disease, and it is a medical emergency which requires immediate evaluation by your doctor or by the emergency room. With a good physical examination your primary care doctor should be able to figure out what is going on and help you decide if a treatment is necessary.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)