ZocdocAnswersIs low blood pressure as dangerous as high blood pressure?

Question

Is low blood pressure as dangerous as high blood pressure?

I'm just curious because high blood pressure runs in my family, and I know that's bad. I'm wondering about low blood pressure though, is it bad? What is the ideal blood pressure for a 19 year old male?

Answer

No! Low blood pressure is not dangerous like high blood pressure. Except in a situation of severe illness, such as an overwhelming infection, in which case the blood pressure can drop very significantly, lower blood pressures are generally a normal finding. In order to figure out whether your blood pressure is normal, you should set up an annual physical examination with your primary care doctor if you have not already done so. Blood pressure screening is a major part of what primary care doctors do during the physical examination. For a 19 year old male, a normal blood pressure would be less than 120/80, although much lower than that would also be ok. If your numbers are higher than 120/80 this could be "pre-hypertension" which is a sign that you might develop high blood pressure later in life. If your blood pressure is elevated, your doctor will be able to provide you with lifestyle suggestions to help lower your blood pressure, such as reducing alcohol intake, stopping smoking, reducing the amount of salt you eat, and exercising regularly. Each year, you should return to your primary care doctor for another check up, including another look at your blood pressure numbers.