Is holding a sneeze in dangerous?
I always hold my sneezes in, ever since I was a kid (20 years old now). Is this dangerous? My friend said its bad for your sinuses and your head. Is this true?
On behalf of the rest of the world, thank you for trying to avoid sharing your sneezes with us! That being said, there are times when it would be important not to cover or hold in your sneezes. When people have chronic and significant bloody noses, for example, one of the things that we tell them to avoid is covering their sneezes too tightly, blowing their nose at all, or anything like either of these that would raise the pressure inside your nose. For some people, even that little change can be enough to start another nose bleed. For the rest of the people in the world, something as small as covering a sneeze is not likely to result in any medical issue that is worth worrying about. As always, questions like this should be directed at your primary care doctor for more specific information about how it affects you. An ear, nose, and throat surgeon, who is also known as an ENT or otolaryngologist, would be the specialist most likely to help answer that question.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.
Search for an answer:
- Why are osteosarcomas more common in children and colon cancer more common in the elderly?
- Will they tell me my expected recovery time at my neck oncology follow up?
- How can it be determined whether a sore on the tongue is a herpes cold sore, or just a canker sore?
- In the last 2-3 days the lower back of my head hurts when I bend forward. Can it be a sinus infection?
- Is there something wrong with me if I have to have a lot of salt on my foods?
Need More Info?