ZocdocAnswersCould being ?pigeon-toed? be causing my knee soreness?

Question

Could being ?pigeon-toed? be causing my knee soreness?

I've always been what they called pigeon-toed, where my feet point in when I walk. Tried to change it, but no use. Now both of my knees have been sore for about a month. Is the way I walk causing this? Should I go to physical therapy?

Answer

Pigeon-toe is a relatively common problem in young children. Usually the pointing in of the feet occurs because of a twisting of the tibia bone (shin), although it can also occur because of twisting at the hip. Almost always, the problem resolves on its own as the child grows. Therefore, if you are still having significant pigeon toeing as an adult, that is something you should talk to your doctor about. If you talk to your primary care doctor and they identify significant pigeon toeing, they will probably want to refer you to an orthopedic doctor for further evaluation. On the other hand, there are many other causes of knee soreness. For example, if you have had some in toeing for your entire life, it is hard to imagine how that would cause sudden knee soreness now. Other possibilities of knee soreness would include a sprain or strain, for example an overuse injury from running or other forms of exercise. Depending on your age, knee arthritis would also be a possibility. Start by setting up a visit with your primary care doctor, who can perform the initial exam of your knees and determine whether you need further treatment or referral.