ZocdocAnswersWhy are my breasts sore?

Question

Why are my breasts sore?

I'm in my mid-twenties and have soreness in my breasts. Not approaching my time of the month, and don't usually get soreness there around that time anyways. Is this something serious?

Answer

First off, I think I can reassure you that it is pretty unlikely that this is a serious problem! Many people, when they have soreness in their breasts, start to worry about breast cancer. However, rest assured that breast cancer doesn't usually call breast soreness like this! There are several more benign possibilities that could cause breast soreness. For example, this could be an improperly fitting bra (either too tight or too loose). If you think this might be a possibility, you might want to visit a store that can help you properly fit a bra. Improper bra fittings are common in people who have recently lost or gained weight. Another possibility would be fibrocystic breast changes. These are changes in the breasts that cause intermittent soreness as well as a 'ropy' texture to the deep breast tissue. Although fibrocystic breast changes often cause soreness that cycles with the menstrual period, this is not always the case. Your doctor would be able to examine your breasts and tell you if you have fibrocystic changes. If so, avoiding caffeine is often helpful. I would start by seeing your doctor, either a primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. They will help you figure out what is going on!