ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing the popping sound in my jaw?

Question

What is causing the popping sound in my jaw?

I noticed a popping sound, almost like scraping sometimes in my jaw when I chew food. Started a couple days ago. Should this be checked out? What would make this noise?

Answer

Generally, a popping sound in your jaw is due to a displacement of the joint that connects your lower jaw to the rest of your skull, known as the temporomandibular joint or TMJ. the symptoms of a TMJ disorder can vary from person to person. Most commonly experienced symptoms may include a clicking or a popping jaw, earaches, headaches or migraines, shoulder or neck pain and difficulty with moving or opening the mouth or difficulty chewing. The most common reason to seek medical attention is generally pain, which can be quite debilitating. There are many causes of why this could be occurring. Most commonly implicated reason is teeth grinding that often occurs at night. Other causes include excess chewing, trauma, bone disease. It is advisable to seek medical attention and see your primary care doctor to diagnose what could be causing this problem. A doctor could adequately discuss your clinical situation and easily diagnose this with simple physical examination, and sometimes imaging maybe required. Your doctor can also help with measures to relieve the pain as well as suggest some relaxation techniques. I would therefore suggest seeing your primary care doctor to discuss your problem, as well as to seek some treatment for the pain that you may been having.