Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it normal for my clavicle to stick out more on one side?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for my clavicle to stick out more on one side?


Male in my late teens. Noticed that my collarbone/clavicle sticks out more on the right side. Is this normal or is something growing on my bone?


Sorry to hear that your clavicle (or as you mentioned commonly called the "collar bone") sticks out more on your right side and has you worried. I would recommend making an appointment to see either your primary care physician, or an orthopedic surgeon to be evaluated. The clavicle is bone that serves as a strut between the scapula (posteriorly) and the sternum (anteriorly). It has a slight "s" shaped curve that allows it to articulate medially with the sternum (breast bone) at the sternoclavicular joint, and laterally with clavicle (shoulder blade), specifically a finger-like process off the clavicle called the acromion, at the acromioclavicular joint. You can imagine that dislocation of either of these joints may cause the clavicle to sit it an abnormal position and appear to "stick out". Of course a fracture could do the same. In both of these cases however you would typically have a significant amount of pain. Some theorize that congenital dislocations can lead to abnormal projection. There are multiple muscles that attach to the clavicle, and in very muscular people the muscle attachments can be more pronounced. Furthermore there are many structures surrounding the clavicles such as lymph nodes which could cause an abnormal "bulge". Of course at the forefront of everyone's mind is "could this be cancer?" I think that this is highly unlikely, but I would recommend making an appointment for a physician to examine you to be sure. I hope that this information is helpful, and I wish you all the best.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.