ZocdocAnswersWould my doctor tell me if my medications shouldn't be taken together?

Question

Would my doctor tell me if my medications shouldn't be taken together?

I don't want to say what meds I take, but if there was a danger in taking them together, would my doctor let me know that? Should I just ask if its okay to take them togther? Their from different docs.

Answer

I think what you are talking about is medication interaction. This is where one medication affects the action of another, or when the combination of them causes a problem. There are many medication interactions that are out there. Most of the time, these interactions are caused by one drug increasing the levels or decreasing the levels of another drug. We are trained to pick up on these interactions and either avoid them all together or adjust the medication dose to account for the interaction. It becomes a bit more complicated when the medications come from different doctors. This is why it is imperative that each of your doctors know what you are taking that may be prescribed by another doctor. This is especially the responsibility of your primary care physician who should be monitoring your medication list for some of these interactions. The last safety net for you is the pharmacist that fill your prescription. If you get all of your medications from one pharmacy, the pharmacist should look at this list and find any dangerous interactions. These mechanisms help prevent some, but not all of these types of interactions from occurring. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can review your medication list for any issues. Good luck.