ZocdocAnswersIs it okay to exercise every day if I also drink everyday?

Question

Is it okay to exercise every day if I also drink everyday?

I drink every night, but don't necessarily get drunk. I also run every morning before work. Is this safe?

Answer

Per se, there is no bad interaction between drinking alcohol, and exercising. The alcohol you drink in the evening may make you feel worse in the morning, and make it tougher to get up to run. It also can make you dehydrated, which can be worsened by exercise. Exercise is good for you in many ways whether you drink alcohol or not. With that said, it is not healthy to drink alcohol in excess. In general, we recommend that men limit their alcohol consumption to two drinks per day, and women to one drink per day. This rule assumes that one alcohol drink is either one 12 ounce bottle of beer, one 8 ounce glass of wine, or one 1 ounce glass of hard liquor. If you are consuming more alcohol than this, then over time your health can be harmed. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your exercise regimen, and make sure that it safe for your health. In addition (and more importantly), you can discuss you alcohol consumption. Your doctor may decide that you are consuming a safe or unsafe amount of alcohol and make a recommendation based on that. Good luck.