Can a septum become deviated again after surgery?

I had surgery to fix a deviated septum that was making me snore and affected my breathing. Can it come back? Surgery was like 8 months ago.
It is not so much that the deviated septum can 'come back' after surgery as it is that the surgery is not always 100% effective in treating the septum deviation. If you are having recurring congestion, snoring, or other similar symptoms I would highly suggest that you go back to see the ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor who performed the surgery to see what they think. One possibility, other than that the surgery just was not entirely effective, is that you are still just having nasal congestion from after the surgery. Nasal congestion is very common after the surgery; granted, it should definitely usually be resolved by 8 months after the surgery, but it is possible that this is what is going on, especially if you have nasal allergies at baseline. If your ENT doctor prescribed medications such as antihistamines and nasal sprays to you for nasal congestion, you should be taking this regularly. A common reason for nasal congestion is when people take these medications just when the feel symptoms rather than daily, which is how the medications are designed to be taken. Start by going to see your ENT doctor, who will be able to help you figure out what to do.

• Dr. Haitham Masri
    Dr. Haitham Masri MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    13530 Michigan Ave
    Dearborn, MI 48126
  • Dr. Rande Lazar
    Dr. Rande Lazar MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    791 Estate Place
    Memphis, TN 38120
  • Dr. Agustin Arrieta
    Dr. Agustin Arrieta MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4302 Alton Road
    Miami, FL 33140