ZocdocAnswersWhat does an odor in your urine indicate?

Question

What does an odor in your urine indicate?

I feel like no matter what I eat, I can smell it in my urine afterwards for hours. I'm 22 year old male. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with my bladder or stomach?

Answer

Certain types of foods do readily pass chemicals into the urine that can give a strong odor. By far the most common of these is asparagus. Virtually all people who eat asparagus will have a sharp, distinctive odor to their urine within just a few hours. In some other people, other foods will have a similar effect but it is not always predictable which ones these will be. Suffice it to say that this is just a sign of your body doing its job (digesting food, passing out byproducts in the urine) and it is absolutely nothing to worry about. It doesn't mean in any way that there is something wrong with either your bladder, your kidneys, or your digestive system. On the other hand, if your urine is consistently strong in smell, I suspect that this is not really because of what you are eating but, rather, due to the fact that your urine is very concentrated. The solution to concentrated urine is to drink more water and other non dehydrating beverages! Drinking more water will be healthy for you in lots of ways, not just to make your urine less concentrated! Please talk to your primary care doctor for more information!