ZocdocAnswersHow do I know if I need a breast reduction?

Question

How do I know if I need a breast reduction?

I'm overweight and have been almost my whole life. My breasts are very large because of my weight. Could this cause back problems? I've heard that it can.

Answer

The decision about whether or not to pursue a breast reduction is a very personal one. If this is something you are considering, you should feel free to address your questions and concerns with your primary care physician. He or she can help direct you to a plastic surgeon for a surgical consultation if this is something you decide to do. You are correct that being overweight can result in some of this extra weight being carried in your breasts. In addition, larger-breasted women can indeed have back problems or posture difficulties secondary to this distribution of weight. However, if you have never had back problems despite being overweight for a long time, it is unlikely that you will suddenly develop this because of large breasts. Furthermore, having a breast reduction is not going to lead to weight-loss anywhere else or to any of the positive health benefits of changing your eating and activity habits. Overall, if after consultation with your physician and a reputable plastic surgeon you feel that breast reduction will provide physical or mental health benefits, then pursuing this option may make sense for you. However, regardless of what you decide to do re a plastic surgery option, you should also continue to work with your healthcare provider about making healthy lifestyle choices to preserve your overall health.