ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if I yawn too much?

Question

What should I do if I yawn too much?

I feel like I yawn all the time, even though I don't feel tired. Is this a symptom of something? Why is this happening?

Answer

Yawning is a primitive reflex that all humans have. However, we are not entirely sure where it comes from or what its purpose is. Obviously, yawning is usually triggered behaviorally, when we are feeling sleeping or bored. However, as in your case, you seem to be yawning more frequently even though you do not feel sleeping. As a first approximation, I can reassure you that this is unlikely to be a serious problem. Most of the medical conditions that I would associate with yawning I would actually associate with sleepiness with yawning as a side effect. For example, insomnia and obstructive sleep apnea both produce excessive daytime sleepiness, which can lead to yawning. However if you feel alert and ready to go during the day, then the likelihood of these problems is much less. I would say as long as you are otherwise feeling well and don't have any trouble with your sleep habits or patterns then you should not worry about this too much. It may be that your body has just 'learned' to yawn as a habit, in the same way that some people brush back their hair frequently. Of course, you should also mention it to your primary care doctor at your next regular checkup to see if he or she has any other ideas.