ZocdocAnswersIs it okay to sleep with a fan on me all night?

Question

Is it okay to sleep with a fan on me all night?

My air conditioning isn't the best and I live on the second floor of a house. I keep a fan on my bed all night. Is this bad for my breathing or anything else? I've been coughing A LOT lately

Answer

It is totally fine to keep the fan on all night, especially if you don't have air conditioning and need to be comfortable in the heat! It is something of a myth that breezes (such as from fans) are bad for the health. There are lots of reasons that could explain your coughing, however (although the fan is not one of them). I am not sure if you have a history of asthma or allergies. It is very common for people with mold or mite or dust allergies to have problems in hot humid weather. This is because this kind of weather encourages the growth of the mold and mites, leading to a greater concentration of their allergenic particles in the air. It is interesting that you are talking about coughing bedroom - does this mean that you are coughing more at night? If so, this could be because you are encountering high levels of allergens in the bedroom (blankets, mattress, carpet). I suggest that you get in to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. They will help you figure out what the coughing is from. If it is from asthma, allergies, acid reflux, and other common things, these are all potentially very easy to treat.