ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to make your metabolism better?

Question

Is there any way to make your metabolism better?

I know theres some people that have just really high metabolism, like they were born with it. That's not me! anything I eat seems to make me gain weight. How do I make my metabolism work better?

Answer

This is a complicated question to answer. Your rate of metabolism is determined by many factors including your level of physical activity, the job you have, and your family history. Your basal metabolic rate is the amount of energy your body burns when at rest. If you never got out of bed in the morning and laid there all day, you would burn calories at your basal metabolic rate. The basal metabolic rate is determined by your sex, your age, your body size, and your genetics. You probably burn between 800 and 1600 calories per day doing nothing depending on the aforementioned factors. This difference may be responsible for the "slow" or "fast" metabolism that people have. The rest of the calorie burning comes from activity. Since it is hard to change your basal metabolic rate, you have to control the calories that you burn. Thus, the best way for you to accelerate your metabolism is with more exercise. If you need help with losing weight, then I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss your current diet and physical exercise regimen and make suggestions on how to improve your chances of losing weight. Good luck.