ZocdocAnswersAre organic foods safe to eat?

Question

Are organic foods safe to eat?

I was thinking about going on an organic food diet, but I heard that there is an increased risk of getting a bacterial infection. How would I know if I got a bacterial infection from organic foods? Are they really safe?

Answer

There is no scientific or medical evidence that eating or not eating organic foods will have any effect on your health. This is of course a statement I'm making under the assumption that you are using the word organic to describe fruits and vegetables that are grown without pesticides. Food grown using organic methods should not contain any more, or any less bacteria than food grown using classic methods. I will say that if you are planning on incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet grown using any method, you will likely improve your overall health. We do have great evidence that a diet consisting of more plant based foods is better for your heart and blood vessels. I should note here that all food (organic or not) has bacteria living in it. You are protected from those bacteria by acid in your stomach and protective immune cells in your gastrointestinal tract. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss this issue with you in more detail. In addition, you can possibly get a referral to speak with a nutritionist. This is a health care specialist who will be able to review with you foods that are healthy and safe to eat.