ZocdocAnswersCould my hormone levels have something to do with my weight gain?

Question

Could my hormone levels have something to do with my weight gain?

I'm a 21 year old male and have suddenly starting gaining extra weight. I haven't changed my diet or exercise pattern or anything. Are my hormones changing or something? Do hormones have something to do with weight?

Answer

It is true that as you age a bit your basal metabolic rate settles down. This is why people who are in their 20s often put on a bit of weight even without any specific change in diet or exercise. Since their basal metabolic rate is lower than it was when they were teenagers, then can no longer keep on with exactly the same eating and exercise habits that they previously had. So the first step would be to take a good look at the amount of exercise you are doing as well as your diet and see if there are any changes that need to be made. In particular, you should look at your intake of beverages, like sodas and beer, as these are very common sources of empty calories. It would also be a good idea to see your primary care doctor if you haven't had an annual checkup in a while. Your doctor will be able to give an overall assessment of your health and the recent weight gain. Occasionally weight gain can be from a hormonal problem; however, in someone your age, the most common cause would be needing to tweak your diet and exercise. Your doctor will be able to help you sort this out.