ZocdocAnswersHow can I make sure my computer use isn't ruining my eyes?

Question

How can I make sure my computer use isn't ruining my eyes?

I have a job where I look at a computer all day and I also use my computer at home a lot. Is there anything I can do to make sure I'm not damaging my eyes?

Answer

Despite the fact that many people today have to look at computer screens both at work and at home, we have not found a pattern of eye damage yet. The eye is designed to adjust its focus on what you are looking at, and does not care whether you are focusing for a long time on something close, or something far away. In addition, there is no evidence that there is anything specific about staring at a computer screen or television screen that is potentially dangerous to the eye. With that said, I do have patients who get migraine headaches which are worsened by the hours they have to work behind a computer screen. This phenomenon does not seem to have anything to do with damage to the eye. If you are having trouble with your eyes (increase blurriness, blind spots, etc), then I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to test your vision, look in your eyes, and determine what the problem may be. From there your doctor will know whether you warrant referral to an ophthalmologist (an MD that has specialized in the eye) or an optometrist (a type of doctor that has gone to school specifically for vision).