Could my sister have Asperger's Syndrome?

My sis is really awkward around people and is always acting strange. We always just though she was kind of ?unique? or whatever, but then I heard about Asperger's Syndrome. How would I know if she had it? What are the signs?
Asperger's syndrome falls into the category of 'autism spectrum disorders.' Although classical autism often demonstrates impaired mental capacity and difficulties with language, Asperger's syndrome is different in that people with the syndrome usually have preserved mental capacity and language ability. However, other features of autism spectrum disorders are shared by those with Asperger's syndrome. In particular, people with Asperger's syndrome have difficulty with social interactions; principally, this is because they have trouble with empathy - that is, with understanding other people's points of view. They also may have restricted sets of interests or hobbies. If your sister's social interactions are impaired by her behavior, the best that you as her family can do is be supportive of her and at the same time suggest that she see a psychiatrist or a psychologist. These doctors will be able to help determine if she is suffering from Asperger's syndrome or another related disorder. Many people with Asperger's syndrome can live rewarding and functional lives. Often, therapy to help them overcome their hang ups and develop better interpersonal skills can be very valuable. Vocational or on the job training is also often very helpful.

Other Psychiatrists