Why are the outer edges of my ears so itchy?

Don't seem to have trouble with my skin anywhere else, but the edge of my ears, like on the top is very dry an itchy. Why would I have this problem on only my ears?
There are several different possibilities here. The most simple would be that you are having sun burn or sun damage to the ears. This is actually pretty common because the skin on the tops of the ears is thin and sensitive to the sun; however, we often forget to cover the ears with sunscreen or to protect them from the sun! The other most likely possibility would be that you have eczema on the ears. This is also quite common. Eczema is a condition in which the skin becomes dried out, resulting in redness, flaking, and itching, and it can occur on any part of the body including the ears. Eczema can usually be treated easily with avoiding harsh drying soaps and personal care products, by regularly applying a thick moisturizing ointment, and by using an over the counter steroid cream such as 1% hydrocortisone. If these methods do not work, then you should go see your primary care doctor. Sometimes eczema can require more potent steroid creams, which your doctor can prescribe for you. Additionally your doctor will be able to make sure there is nothing more serious going on - for example, a precancerous spot on the skin of your ears.

9815 E Harry St

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    8733 Beverly Blvd
    West Hollywood, CA 90048
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251